Monday, December 22, 2014

Selena:The Icon

When I was a young girl I LOVED Paula Abdul, Mariah Carey and Barbie. I loved them all so much but felt frustrated because I didn't look like them. I was so frustrated in fact, that when I was 5 years old I tried to rub my brown skin off so I could be lighter like Barbie. Then one day my world changed. My mom brought home a cd of a girl who looked like me, spoke a language familiar to me and I could feel her spirit in her songs. At 7 years old my world changed when SELENA was introduced to me. Since then I have spent hours recreating her outfits, makeup looks, dance moves and songs. Somewhere in my fathers collection of home videos are hour of embarrassing Selena footage of me. Well either embarrassing or majestic. I still adhere to the Selena essentials for me everyday look: hoops, eyeliner, manicured nails and long hair. My bangs had a lifetime from 1994-2001 but have since retired. Reflecting on my love for Selena not only as my style Icon but as my Idol has me wondering….do other people care about her as much as I do? Did she make a difference on other people like she did me? I read a few articles here and there about her but I wonder…how has Selena impacted your life? 


 This is one of my most favorite Selena looks and I have dreamt of recreating this outfit but I think my bustier days are over…or are they?
 ICONIC. So many recreations of this. Someday my daughter will have this outfit.
 Gorgeous.
 I would recreate this look today and am searching for pieces to custom make my own mirror dress.

Iconic. This is one of my go to hairstyles. She's so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment